In this article, you will figure out how to check the current WordPress form through three strategies. It is a basic advance to make your WordPress site safer and cutting-edge.
Three Methods to Check WordPress Current Version
- Method 1 – Checking WordPress Version in the Admin Area
- Method 2 – Checking WordPress version in Page Source
- Method 3 – Checking WordPress Version in version.php File
Why You Need To Check Your Current WordPress Version?
WordPress is continually improving. With each emphasis, this CMS brings new highlights just as execution and security overhauls. In this way, ensure your site runs on the most recent adaptation to appreciate all the advantages.
Moreover, the WordPress form likewise influences topics and modules similarity. At the end of the day, in the event that you update your WordPress routinely, you will have the option to attempt new plans and apparatuses.
In any case, before you do that, you should discover the variant that you are utilizing. Check whether it is like the one that is shown on the WordPress download page. That way, you will know if you need an update. So right away, we should figure out how to check your present WordPress form.
Three Methods to Check WordPress Current Version
In this blog post, we’ll tell you the best way to check the current form of WordPress through the administrator zone, page source, and version.php document.
Method 1 – Checking WordPress Version in the Admin Area
There are two spots where you can check the current WordPress version in the WordPress administrator territory, specifically:
On the Updates segment — Log in to your WordPress and head to Dashboard – > Updates segment. Here, you will see which version of WordPress you are utilizing and furthermore the most recent accessible WordPress form.
On the footer — Scroll down to any page of the administrator region until you get to the footer. You should have the option to see the current WordPress adaptation adjacent to the “Thank you for making with WordPress” text.
Method 2 – Checking WordPress version in Page Source
In the event that you can’t sign in to your WordPress dashboard, you can see it by means of your site’s page source.
Typically, site made utilizing WordPress convey the version data in a HTML meta tag. Naturally, the WordPress subject embeds this tag into your site.
To discover the WordPress rendition through the meta tag:
- Open your site on an internet browser. Right-click anyplace on the site and select the View Page Source choice. Another tab will open containing the source HTML code of the page.
- Press CTRL + F (Windows and Linux) or COMMAND + F (macOS) to open the program’s pursuit apparatus. Type “generator” in the hunt field and check whether anything comes up. In the event that the generator meta tag isn’t handicapped, you will see it like this:
<link rel=”EditURI” type=”application/rsd+xml” title=”RSD” href=”http://hostinger-dev-9.xyz/xmlrpc.php?rsd” />
<link rel=”wlwmanifest” type=”application/wlwmanifest+xml” href=”http://hostinger-dev-9.xyz/wp-includes/wlwmanifest.xml” /> <meta name=”generator” content=”WordPress 5.2.4″ /
Something significant to note, permitting your site to show its WordPress form by means of meta tag, is dangerous. It will be simpler for assailants to hack your site on the off chance that they realize you are utilizing a more established WordPress, which is less secure.
Accordingly, we urge you to refresh your WordPress when the most recent version comes out. On the other hand, you can stow away the meta label out and out.
In the event that you can’t see the tag above, it implies that your topic is as of now concealing it, which is a decent safety effort. Be that as it may, if the generator meta tag is appeared, you can handicap it by following these means:
- Access your WordPress dashboard. At that point, explore to Appearance – > Theme Editor.
- Select your present subject and pick functions.php record. Glue the accompanying code at the lower part of the document:
3. Press Update File to save your changes.
Method 3 – Checking WordPress Version in version.php File
This is the most dependable strategy to see your present WordPress version. Be that as it may, it additionally requires the most measure of time.
- Connect to your hosting account using the built-in file manager or an FTP client, like FileZilla.
- At that point, explore to the WordPress establishment registry (normally it’s public_html) and open the wp-incorporates envelope.
- Search for a record named version.php and open it. The adaptation of your WordPress establishment will be on line 16, which should resemble this:
Don’t worry. Others won’t have the option to see this document in light of the fact that the data is written in the PHP variable, and it’s anything but a piece of the page’s HTML. That way, no adaptation detail is shown when your website is opened on an internet browser.
Checking the current WordPress version is the principal thing you need to do before you redesign your WordPress. It illuminates you in the event that you need an update to improve your security and execution. You will likewise know whether a specific subject or module is viable with your site or not.
There are three techniques for discovering which version of WordPress you are utilizing. To sum up, we should diagram every alternative:
- By means of administrator region — this is the most effortless technique out of the three, which just expects you to sign in to your WordPress dashboard.
- By means of page source — it permits you to see the current WordPress variant through the generator meta tag of your page. Notwithstanding, we propose that you conceal the data from guests.
- By means of version.php record — utilize your facilitating document administrator or FTP customer to find this record on/public_html/wp-incorporates/